Thursday, June 26, 2014

Chapter 15: I Spy



Reggie gets home from shop club early (probably due to the building exploding in glitch fire or something), and is surprised to find Rohane sniveling, surrounded by piles of junk.


This is Reggie's surprised face.



"Rohane, what is this?"

"I don't even know! Just screw off! I'll deal with it!"

Reggie pauses, contemplating. "Your response indicates you are responsible."

"Don't tell me you caught me red handed and still think it was someone else," Rohane scoffs.

"What have I caught, exactly?"

Rohane punches his mattress harmlessly. "I have a place where I dump the shit. Sometimes it poofs away again, back where it belongs I guess? Other times it stays there and doesn't go away." Sensing his brother still doesn't have a damn clue what he's talking about, Rohane sighs and explains, "Things start appearing around me when I get stressed out. It's been happening for a long time. It just never happens in front of other people. Like, it only works when nobody's looking. Shit, you think I'm crazy..."


Reggie studies the objects more closely. Some of the stuff is recognizable. There's the box with the sailboat on it, from downstairs, part of their father's theme collection. The duck toy is Ray's. The picture of the girl in the frame is the one usually sitting on their literature teacher's desk. Some of the books have a very obvious magical charge... but they aren't his mother's. He'd best find out whom they belong to. Fast.

"I don't think you're crazy. But there must be some connection between you and the objects," Reggie theorizes.

"There isn't," Rohane growls.

"I can't imagine you haven't told Mother about this..."

"I haven't."

Reggie folds his arms. "And... why not?"

"Because Mom is crazy and will think it's a sign the boogeymen are coming for us? And then we'll have to move to the other side of the world and hide in a cave and never eat pizza again?"

"Or she may attempt to help you control your abilities."

"I've asked her about teleportation before. All she knows is the stuff she already taught us. And no matter what I do, what protection ward I place on myself or the room I'm in, I can't block this out."

"And... why were you crying?"

"I wasn't crying."

"Yes you were."

"Because I'm a thief and it's going to end bad," Rohane says.

Reggie frowns, and carefully steps over the objects so he can sit on the bed with Rohane. "How is it you think you know what's to come?"


"I just got a weird feeling, man. Like I'm not supposed to be here."

Reggie sighs, not understanding. "Well. You are here. I'll help you reverse engineer your magic. We'll put a stop to this."


"You're staring at the demon girl's chest," Rohane mumbles.

"Is she there for some reason other than to be stared at?"

"Just seems like a bad time."



Reggie casts a number of spells on the hexed books, but they do not reveal their origins. Their owners remain a mystery. Regrettably, he's forced to obliterate them; it wouldn't do if they were owned by an unfriendly mage, who could use them to get to his family first. He hates to see knowledge destroyed, but it's what his mother would tell him to do, he's sure...

...but fixing Rohane's issues may not be as easy.













_______________________________________
Etc.: I heard Waldo is in that object pile somewhere.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my. Was that what Greta realized when she talked to Reggie before, about the gnomes? Wow. That really is quite a problem. Is Rohane doing it conscientiously? Does he realize what he's doing while he's doing it? Geez. Poor kid.

    Cute puppy spam <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will leave Greta's awareness of the situation, or lack thereof, up to interpretation. ;D As for if Rohane knows what he's doing... yes, he's aware it is happening, he just doesn't know how to stop it. Like... mage Tourette's.

      Delete
  2. Mage Tourette's....good one. :P I'm quite intrigued at what's going on here and can't wait to see how this develops. Idk why but the gnomes on the table next to the kids kinda freaked me out lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can just thank Reggie for the creepy little inventor's gnome... though I must say, the bear one is my least favorite to look at.

      Delete
  3. Aw, Rohane. Reggie's a really good brother helping him out.

    I love that last picture of Vox. xD

    ReplyDelete